I’ll never forget the gut punch of scrolling through Instagram one night before bed (just because I’m a health writer doesn’t mean I always have the healthiest habits) and seeing it: a picture of my entire group of close girl friends out to dinner, toasting to celebrate a birthday. Everyone was in the picture … except me. It was such a shock that I, a woman well into adulthood, burst into tears so loud that my husband came running in from the next room. As I wept, I frantically scrolled back through texts to see if I’d somehow missed an invite. Did I mute the group text by accident? Did my email send it to spam? Were hackers or aliens involved?
Nope. I just wasn’t invited.
The next day, when I saw one of the women, I gingerly asked how the party was. She looked at me sharply and sighed, “I knew that was going to hurt your feelings, but you need to get over it. Not everyone can be invited to everything.”
That hurt so much it took my breath away. (That was also how I learned I’d been ejected from the friend group.)
That said, I’ve been on the other side too. I’ve planned events and realized that inviting all of my close friends is not logistically feasible unless I want to rent a convention center, hire a catering staff and obtain a liquor license. Sometimes you simply have to choose. And you know what’s sometimes worse than being the person who gets left off the guest list? Being the person staring at the guest list thinking, Well, crap. Who gets cut?
As unkind as my friend (ex-friend?) was, she wasn’t wrong. Not everyone can be invited to everything. It’s not always that dramatic, of course. Not every missed invite means you’re booted from the group, and not every curated invitation list will make you feel like a monster. But the devil is in the details.
So is it really rude not to invite your entire friend group to a night out? How do you navigate that situation without being paralyzed by indecision or renting an event hall? And how do you deal with the hurt feelings that will inevitably happen—especially when they are yours? Let’s figure it out below.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more etiquette, humor, cleaning, travel, tech and fun facts all week long.
The case for not inviting everyone

It boils down to practicality. Some venues and activities simply can’t accommodate an entire friendship ecosystem. Restaurants have tables. Concerts have tickets. Someone’s living room has approximately 3 square feet of available floor space once you put down the charcuterie board. And wedding invite lists can be so intense, they can cause otherwise rational adults to consider moving to another country.
But here’s the thing: It’s completely normal for adults to have relationship tiers. According Dunbar’s Social Theory, most of us can sustain only about 150 meaningful relationships (called Dunbar’s number), with those relationships naturally forming in nested circles. The innermost circle is roughly five people: your ride-or-dies, who you’d call at 2 a.m. in an emergency. The middle circle contains about 15 folks, and they’re the friends you see regularly. The next circle, about 50 friends, are your barbecue-and-birthday-party people. And the largest circle contains approximately 150 people you can maintain reasonably close connections with. Having these types of subgroups of friends isn’t a betrayal of the larger group; it’s just how friendship works.
Friendship is not one giant bucket labeled PEOPLE I AM OBLIGATED TO INVITE FOREVER. Sometimes you want to have a huge birthday bash. Other times, you want to have tacos with your three best friends and spend two hours discussing the alarming amount of money you just spent on a moisturizer. That’s OK. And there are plenty of other reasons to keep a gathering small. Maybe the activity is something only some friends enjoy. Maybe two people don’t get along and you don’t want to spend your evening doing conflict resolution between martinis. Maybe you want to discuss something deeply personal with one or two people. Maybe you simply haven’t seen a particular friend in six months and want some one-on-one time.
Friendships are allowed to have subgroups. In fact, if you’ve known each other for more than about five minutes, they almost certainly do. However, there’s a big difference between saying “I need a smaller group right now” and “I want everyone to know they weren’t chosen.”
The case for inviting everyone
Hurt feelings. The hard part is that what feels like a perfectly reasonable invitation decision to one person can feel like a declaration of social leprosy to another. The person in the second or third circle may believe they’re in the inner circle—and they may find out they’re not because they open Instagram while eating Cap’n Crunch in bed. I know this because, well, see above.
Research suggests that social exclusion hurts in a very real way. A study from researchers at the University of Basel and Purdue University looked at the effects of ostracism in people’s everyday lives and found that these mundane experiences of being ignored or excluded can rock people’s fundamental feelings of safety, well-being and belonging. More recently, researchers from the University of Basel and the University of Koblenz-Landau looked specifically at social media exclusion. Across five studies involving 1,149 participants, they found that simply not being tagged in an Instagram post could torpedo people’s mental health, especially for those of us with a strong need to belong. Being cut out of a photo was even more upsetting.
So yes, apparently our brains can look at a picture of six women eating nachos and react as though civilization itself has rejected us. That’s a pretty high emotional price for a plate of cheesy chips. Sometimes the message this sends is accidental, but sometimes it isn’t. Invitations are a way to exert power, control or status within a group. Even when the exclusion isn’t intentionally cruel, the message can still read: I chose them. I didn’t choose you.
Still, that doesn’t mean you should invite everyone to everything. It means that if you’re making a choice, you should understand the risks and recognize that it could have consequences for the friendship.
The gray areas

I’m not sure I’ve ever covered an etiquette problem with so many gray areas. The whole answer is one giant gray area in a trench coat. Here are the questions I’d ask before deciding whether your guest list is perfectly reasonable or whether you’re about to become the villain in someone’s story arc.
How many people are being left out? If you have a group of 10 and you invite nine to the Friday-night hang, then you haven’t created an intimate situation—you’ve created a mean-girl group.
How often does this happen? If it’s just this once and you have a good reason, it’s probably not a big deal. But if the same person is mysteriously never invited—birthday party, Taco Tuesday, dancing naked under the full moon—then you need to consider if they are actually a friend.
How big is the original group? If you’re coordinating a girls’ night with 15 friends, then what is one more person? On the other hand, if you’re planning dinner for four, then yes, one or more people changes things significantly.
Is this actually a group? If these people are part of a clearly defined friend group that regularly does things together, excluding one or two people can feel much more pointed. But if you’re inviting a few mutuals who happen to be acquainted already, there may be no expectation that every social outing includes everyone.
How did the plan evolve? There’s a difference between “Two of us were already meeting up and two more people joined,” and “I made a list of 20 people and then selected the five people I like best.” The first feels organic. The second feels like The Bachelor, except nobody gets a rose and everyone gets screenshots.
Where is the night out happening? If you’re headed to a private spot or doing something that naturally limits the group size, you can be flexible. But if you are going to a very public place where you’ll run into mutuals or even possibly friends who weren’t invited, you should at least consider how that will feel.
How official is the event? An official girls’ night out planned two weeks in advance with a calendar invite feels much different than a spontaneous trip to In-N-Out. Spontaneity gives you some etiquette grace.
Are kids or partners invited? Sometimes the friend group is just the girls, while other times it’s a family or couples event. Just make sure everyone knows which it is.
And most importantly: How will the person find out they weren’t invited? Ideally, they won’t. Realistically, they probably will. And if your friend has to find out about your dinner through an Instagram story, a tagged Facebook photo or a conversation at the gym, that can turn an otherwise reasonable decision into a much more painful one.
What do you do about hurt feelings afterward?
My friend’s “just get over it” was rude, but at least she was honest. Too often, people try to hide or minimize the situation because they think they’re sparing the other person’s feelings. But once someone discovers that eight of their friends went out without them, their feelings are already hurt. Pretending otherwise doesn’t make the hurt disappear. It just adds a second layer of awkwardness.
You don’t necessarily need to apologize for having dinner with other people. You do need to acknowledge that your friend may feel bad. Something as simple as “I can understand why that hurt. It wasn’t meant to say anything about how I feel about you” can go a long way. Notice that I didn’t say “I’m sorry I went to dinner without you.” You are allowed to have other friends. You are allowed to have different friendships with different people. You are allowed to occasionally spend an evening with someone without forming a 30-person committee first.
What you are not allowed to do, if you want to remain a decent human being, is act baffled when someone feels excluded after discovering that the rest of the group went out without them. Feelings are not always logical. Unfortunately, they are also not optional.
The verdict
It is not rude to leave someone off the guest list. It can be rude to leave someone off the guest list. Yes, I realize that is an extremely unsatisfying answer. Welcome to etiquette.
You cannot invite everyone to everything, and you shouldn’t have to. Friendships naturally exist in different circles, and sometimes you want a quiet dinner with three people rather than a 30-person reunion that requires a seating chart and a project manager. But the more clearly you are part of a defined friend group, the more often one person is excluded and the more public the gathering is, the more carefully you should think about how your invitation list will land. And maybe don’t post the pictures to Instagram.
Why trust us
Reader’s Digest has published hundreds of etiquette stories that help readers navigate communication in a changing world. We regularly cover topics such as the best messages to send for any occasion, polite habits that aren’t as polite as they seem, email and texting etiquette, business etiquette, tipping etiquette, travel etiquette and more. We’re committed to producing high-quality content by writers with expertise and experience in their field in consultation with relevant, qualified experts. We rely on reputable primary sources, including government and professional organizations and academic institutions as well as our writers’ personal experiences where appropriate. We verify all facts and data, back them with credible sourcing and revisit them over time to ensure they remain accurate and up to date. Read more about our team, our contributors and our editorial policies.
Sources:
- Computers in Human Behavior: “Why didn’t you tag me?!: Social exclusion from Instagram posts hurts, especially those with a high need to belong”
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: “Ostracism in everyday life: A framework of threat and behavioral responses in real life”
- Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: “Cyberostracism: effects of being ignored over the Internet”
- Social Science Space: “Robin Dunbar Explains Why His ‘Number’ Still Counts”
The post Is It Really Rude Not to Invite Your Entire Friend Group to a Night Out? appeared first on Reader's Digest.
from Reader's Digest https://ift.tt/I45GVcU



Comments
Post a Comment