EXCLUSIVE! Grammy Winner Ciara Talks Fashion, Her Favorite Throwback Song and Why She Loves “Living Young”
Few artists have balanced music, motherhood and style quite like Ciara. The Grammy Award–winning singer, songwriter and dancer has earned 11 Grammy nominations and delivered iconic hits like “Goodies,” “1, 2 Step” and “Level Up.” (She’s also spent two decades setting the bar impossibly high for the rest of us on the dance floor.) Offstage, she’s a devoted mom to four children—Future, Sienna, Win and Amora—and one half of one of Hollywood’s favorite power couples alongside husband Russell Wilson.
In an exclusive interview with Reader’s Digest, Ciara opened up about the lessons she’s learned over the course of her two decades in the spotlight—from the confidence that comes with age to the everyday habits that help her feel her best. She also shared details about an exciting new partnership with a well-known off-price retailer, proving you don’t need a luxury budget to have fun with fashion.
And, of course, we had to revisit one of the most iconic eras of her career. Does she ever get tired of hearing “1, 2 Step”? Do her kids know the choreography? And what advice does she wish she could give her younger self? Read on for Ciara’s candid answers, a little behind-the-scenes nostalgia and a few surprises along the way.
Get Reader’s Digest’s Read Up newsletter for more celebrity interviews, fun facts, humor, cleaning, travel and tech all week long.
This interview took place on July 9, 2026, and has been edited for length and clarity.
Reader’s Digest: You recently partnered with Ross Dress for Less for their new creative campaign, Ross World, that’s all about celebrating style and self-expression. What made this collaboration feel like a natural fit for you?
View this post on Instagram
Ciara: Our family is a big fan of Ross. We proudly have our kid brand, 3BRAND, in Ross stores, so there was an organic connection already out the gate. I was super excited when I got together with the team to talk about the vision. It wasn’t a little cute, goofy idea. It was like, let’s be bold, let’s make some noise and let’s think outside the box.
Reader’s Digest: It’s great to be able to work with a brand that you can relate to. As you mentioned, Ross is very bold and expressive—qualities your style represents. What does your closet look like?
Ciara: My closet depends on the day. When organized, it’s like walking into a store because I like to be able to see all of the pieces and key pieces I need to grab—especially being a mom, because you’re always on the go.
I really do love organizing my shoes by category. There’s a section for my sneakers. There’s a section for my strappy heels, my platforms—like, there are sections that are specific to the actual item, which also helps me as well.
Reader’s Digest: When I think of your high-fashion looks, two that stand out to me the most are your 2026 Met Gala golden outfit and your iconic baby bump outfit at the Color Purple premiere in 2023. How has experiencing new seasons of your life changed the way you approach fashion, and which style choices have made you feel the most like yourself?

Ciara: The fun thing about fashion that I learned, especially when I entered motherhood, is that there’s no limitation to fashion. One of the best ways that we express ourselves in our everyday lives is through what we wear. It can tell a lot about your mood. It can tell a lot about the noise you want to make in the room or the noise you want to make on stage.
For me, that was such a fun challenge, entering motherhood. Just because you become a mom doesn’t mean that you’re older. It doesn’t mean that you have to dress a specific way. You can still be who you are through every chapter and phase of your life. Sometimes I’ll be really into oversized clothing, which I’m kind of always expecting. I’m a tomboy, you know? Or, I’d do more of a feminine silhouette, because [even though] I am a tomboy, I’m gonna challenge myself to soften it up a bit but still keep my edge.
Reader’s Digest: You’ve had an amazing career. When you look back at the younger Ciara who first entered the music industry, what would you say is the biggest way that you’ve changed, and what part of her do you think is exactly the same?
Ciara: When I first entered the industry, I think I was definitely fearless and confident, but there was also a part of me that was trying to take on as much as I could, as fast as I could, and trying to figure it all out. When you do that, there’s definitely a lot of trial and error. The beginning stages of things are sort of your best stages because you get to learn a lot about yourself, and you get to form wisdom over time through the good and the bad.
It’s been 22 years since my first album. I don’t feel quite as young, but I feel pretty close to my youthful-woman phases. I still love living young. Having my babies and my family helps. I’m also a cougar. My husband is younger than me. I have all these factors that help me live young, but also I’m able to use my wits at the same time. I like where I am mentally and holistically.
Reader’s Digest: One of your most iconic throwback songs of the 2000s, “1, 2 Step,” is still everywhere. It’s on TikTok. It’s definitely on people’s playlists. What’s it like to see people who weren’t even born when it came out still dancing to that song?
Ciara: I think it’s so motivating, and it makes me so proud to know that I have a catalog of songs that move with time. “1, 2 Step,” for me, is almost like my “All I Want for Christmas” by Mariah Carey. It’s a song the DJ will always play and sing. Same with my [other] songs like “Level Up,” which I’m proud of because that was my first independent release. It’s such a gift when people use your music—and when the younger generation uses it like it’s a new song all over again.
Reader’s Digest: Do your kids know the steps for “1, 2 Step” and “Level Up”?
Ciara: One of my daughters actually requested “Level Up” on the way to camp. She was telling her brother and sister to dance with her, and I thought that was so cute. It’s funny because I don’t play my music in the house like that. It’s so weird. Maybe I should start doing it a little bit more because my babies probably should know mommy’s music.
Reader’s Digest: It’s never too late! Do you have a favorite memory from when you and Missy mastered some of those moves?

Ciara: I think the special moment would be meeting Missy for the first time on set. We bonded, and ever since then, she’s been like a sister to me. When we started our scene together, on the set of the actual music video, I would start doing this step, and she would join right in with me.
It was really fun being in my hometown and shooting that video in Cascade Skating Rink. There was nostalgia for me because I came up dancing in the skating rinks, and to have an icon like Missy on set with me was really special. We’ve always been in sync with each other.
Reader’s Digest: It’s amazing to know that your friendship with Missy has been so long-lasting. When it comes to your past and most recent music, summer matches your energy. What’s a family tradition or summer activity that you and your family always look forward to?
Ciara: This summer’s been incredibly hot. But when it comes to summer traditions for my family and I, we travel some, which is always fun. We haven’t traveled as much this summer, which is kind of cool because just watching my kids run around, play in the backyard and just be kids is one of the sweetest things. Playing games like Uno is always fun too. It never gets old.
Reader’s Digest: What’s next for you, musically, creatively or personally?
Ciara: I’m super pumped about my latest release. The song is called “Yay,” and it’s such a good track produced by Thom Bridges and co-written by myself, Courtlin Jabrae, Rachel West and a few other amazing writers. I’m super pumped about this song because it’s super feel-good. It’s right on time for summer.
I’ll be traveling to Poland next month for the first time for the BitterSweet Festival. That should be really cool, and there are a couple of other fun things in my bag that I can’t quite share yet. That’s probably the overall theme: staying moving and trying to be my best at everything I do.
Rapid response with Ciara

Reader’s Digest: Let’s do some rapid-response questions. First up: Dogs or cats?
Ciara: Dogs.
Reader’s Digest: Mornings or nights?
Ciara: Nights.
Reader’s Digest: Aisle seat or window?
Ciara: Window.
Reader’s Digest: What’s your favorite book?
Ciara: I haven’t read this book in a long time, but I like The 48 Laws of Power.
*Editor’s note: Reader’s Digest does not endorse any specific products or services.
Why trust us
At Reader’s Digest, we’re committed to producing high-quality content by writers with expertise and experience in their field in consultation with relevant, qualified experts. We rely on reputable primary sources, including government and professional organizations and academic institutions as well as our writers’ personal experiences where appropriate. For this interview with Ciara, Reader’s Digest Associate Editor Mariah Thomas tapped her experiences as a celebrity interviewer, writer and editor. We verify all facts and data, back them with credible sourcing and revisit them over time to ensure they remain accurate and up to date. Read more about our team, our contributors and our editorial policies.
The post EXCLUSIVE! Grammy Winner Ciara Talks Fashion, Her Favorite Throwback Song and Why She Loves “Living Young” appeared first on Reader's Digest.
from Reader's Digest https://ift.tt/Ht2zfQI



Comments
Post a Comment