July Luggage Review: I Tested the Carry-On Pro on Multiple Overseas Flights

Since I tend to take fairly long tripsmany lasting two weeks or more and often with varying climatesI often have no choice but to pack a checked bag. But then that leaves me with lugging a heavy duffle or backpack through airports, which isn’t ideal even when it’s from one of the best luggage brands. As such, over the last year, I’ve been experimenting with bringing a second rolling carry-on bag to help make my travels less physically demanding.

A small roller, like the July Carry-On Pro, provides extra space, which is helpful considering that I often use it to hold a couple of outfits on the way to my destination in case of travel delays and then to hold souvenirs or anything too heavy for my checked bag on the way home. It also provides a place to put my personal items, so I don’t have to carry them around on my shoulder or back (my backpack and weekender bag have trolley sleeves so they can balance right on top).

I recently spent 18 days on back-to-back MSC cruisesto Spain, Italy, France and Malta, and think I finally found my dream setup: my July Carry-On Pro, Bis Medium Check-in Roller and this inexpensive Amazon backpack that’s literally been all over the world with me.

What is the July Carry-On Pro?

Rda24 July Carry On Pro Jill Schildhouse Ssedit 01

When my July Carry-On Pro arrived, it reminded me of a hybrid briefcase and suitcase all in one. I could immediately see the design appeal of working a laptop pocket into the front of the bag, making it easy to store or grab your computer and other important documents behind the strong fiberglass instead of in your personal item (like a purse or tote bag that isn’t equipped to carry fragile cargo).

I appreciated how it came with a dust cover for storage, a mesh bag with a universal serial bus (USB)-A to USB-C cord for the built-in charger and some cards with helpful information (on how to set your locks and reach customer service). The bag felt sturdy, the telescoping handle worked smoothly and the wheels moved nicely along my tiled floors.

I also liked how each interior side of the suitcase had a helpful component for packing: a full mesh zipper on one side and a compression strap system on the other. The compression strap has a zippered area to place small items that might otherwise get lost in the main compartments.

Jill SchildhouseVIA MERCHANT

I Tried It

July Carry-On Pro

This business travel-approved carry-on features a front pocket for a laptop, a built-in ejectable battery and so much more.

July Carry-On Pro features

Two of the main selling features on this bag include the front pocket, which stores up to a 15-inch laptop or an iPad Pro (which reminds me of the Bis Front Pocket Carry-On I also own), and a portable battery hidden beneath the handle for keeping your devices charged on the go (which can live in its spot on the bag when you’re at the airport, but you can also eject it for use on the plane or during an excursion). I found both of these features really handy, although I’m so used to just placing my laptop in my backpack that I found myself momentarily panicking a few times when I thought I’d lost itnope, it was safely tucked away in the July Carry-On Pro. Phew!

The SilentMove wheels really performed like champs through miles of airports, carpeted hallways, cobblestone streets in Barcelona and up and down curbs. I was impressed with their complete silence and easy gliding. At the beginning of my first cruise, my butler grabbed my July bag and another passenger’s bag to roll onboard (through the cruise terminal and up a series of ramps). While following behind, I noticed how effortlessly he was maneuvering my bag while he seemed to be dragging and fighting with the other one.

Finally, I was a big fan of the smooth feel of the polycarbonate shell, which feels sturdy and indestructible. The design is simple, and I think the lack of grooves and edges gives it a wonderfully clean look. Plus, this means there will be less uneven surface area to get snagged and scuffed on things.

How I tested it

Rda24 July Carry On Pro Jill Schildhouse Ssedit 03

I took the July Carry-On Pro on multiple flights to and from Europe, ran through the Philadelphia airport with it when I was in danger of missing my connection multiple terminals away and lugged it across various streets and parking lots in Barcelonanot to mention all around two enormous cruise ships.

I was delighted to discover that I was right about it holding up well to scuffs and scratches. Upon returning home, there was almost no visible sign of useI can’t say the same for other carry-ons I’ve put through similar tests.

On the way to Europe, I chose to fill the bag with several outfits, plus some odds and ends that were in danger of pushing my checked bag overweightbut I also strategically left some space because I knew that I would be filling it up with plenty of souvenirs on the way back home. And right I was, as I ended up adding more than 10 pounds worth of goodies (from Italian leather handbags and olive oil to limoncello and linens) to my bag on the way back. I put as many of my non-liquid souvenirs in the July bag as possible, just in case anything happened with my checked bag.

For a different trip, I packed the following in it: two dresses, four shirts, three pairs of pants, a sun hat, a swimsuit, two pairs of shoes, my favorite travel purse (because it has an anti-theft feature yet totally looks like a YSL dupe!), some undergarments, a makeup bag and a toiletries bag. I had to pair it with a weekender bag to fit the rest of my necessities (such as electronics, my favorite Amazon travel accessories, a pair of sandals, a denim jacket, a beach bag, a cover-up and my curler), as I ran out of roomso perhaps its best as part of a luggage setwhen used in conjunction with the July Carry All Weekender.

In terms of volume of contents, this bag definitely holds less than my Away and Bis carry-on bagsthose hold 47.9 liters and 49 to 61 liters, respectively, while the July bag only holds 42 liters. I believe this difference is partly due to the addition of the front pocket, making the interior space on that side more shallow (though, for some travelers, this tradeoff is worth it!). As such, I think this bag is better suited to lighter packers or for a shorter trip of three to four days (though the brand says it’s sufficient for five to seven days).

Rda24 July Carry On Pro Jill Schildhouse Ssedit 06

Pros

  • Front pocket fits up to a 15-inch laptop or iPad Pro
  • Built-in ejectable battery with USB-A and USB-C docks
  • Integrated Transportation Security Administration (TSA) lock
  • Water-resistant and stain-proof nylon lining
  • Internal Y-strap compression system maximizes space
  • Leather finishes on the nylon straps and hinge
  • SilentMove 360-degree spinner wheels
  • Personalize the bag for $50
  • Free shipping
  • 100-day returns
  • Lifetime warranty

Cons

  • Front pocket takes room away from interior
  • Priced higher than its nearest competitors
  • The handle is wider than other brands, which made it hard to get my backpack trolley strap over it (and harder still to remove once on it)

FAQ

Rda24 July Carry On Pro Jill Schildhouse Ssedit 02

Does the July Carry-On Pro fit in overhead bins?

I had no problem placing my bag in the overhead bin on domestic and international flights on American Airlines. According to the brand’s website, the external dimensions are 21.5 by 15 by 8.5 inches, and most major airlines require the bag to be less than 22 by 14 by 9 inches. So, this should fit just fine aboard other airlines, like Alaska, Allegiant, Delta, JetBlue and United. When in doubt, especially overseas, double-check the carrier’s website.

How do I clean July luggage?

July polycarbonate shells are designed to withstand typical travel-related roughness (I found this bag did better than its competitors, though I do wonder if that’s because my other bags are lighter in color). If you do find some scruff marks, simply use a Magic Eraser or warm, soapy water and a clean cloth to buff them out. When not in use, store it in the included linen dust bag to keep it clean between uses.

Where is July luggage made?

July is an Australian-based luggage brand, but the bags are made in China (parts are sourced from China, Germany, Japan and Korea). Luggage and bags are shipped from Melbourne, Australia and Los Angeles, California.

What other reviewers had to say

Based on over 800 reviews on the brand’s website, the July Carry-On Pro has earned an average rating of 4.9 out of five stars. Verified buyer Mosimane T. says it’s “definitely the best investment I’ve made so far.”

Five-star reviewer, Lara S., vows she won’t be traveling without it and says its “gorgeous looking, fits heaps and very practical with built-in power bank and laptop sleeve.” She even personalized hers together with the weekender bag.

And Jazzmin Rodriguez R., another verified reviewer, says, “I don’t have to worry about my luggage being too big for any airline, as it’s the perfect size. Best carry-on luggage I’ve ever owned.”

Product comparison: July vs. Away luggage

I’ve been a big fan of my Away Bigger Carry-On bag for years, not only because I was lucky enough to snag a limited-time hot pink hue, but because it has performed well time and time again. In many ways, these bags are quite similar, both featuring one side that completely zips closed and the other side featuring a compression strap system with a zippered compartment.

Both promise airline compatibility and many of the same core features (TSA locks, quality wheels, a durable shell and laundry bags). And they both also offer 100-day returns and limited lifetime warranties (covering functional damage to the shell, wheels, handles, zippers, etc.).

The July Carry-On Pro and Away Bigger Carry-On are similar in price, too, though the Away bag comes in slightly less at $295 compared to the July bag at $325. And the Away bag weighs a bit less (7.9 pounds vs. 8.6 pounds, respectively) and holds more (47.9 liters vs. 42 liters). Finally, the Away bag offers 10 standard colors (and three limited edition options) while July has just seven colors. So when deciding between July vs. Away luggage, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Final verdict

The July Carry-On Pro is a solid choice for any serious traveler, especially one traveling on a business trip for three to four days. The integrated laptop pocket and portable charger are incredibly convenient, and its durable shell and high-quality wheels make it seem like this investment will hold up for years to come. I think the price is a bit steep, especially when both Away and Bis offer similar bags with a higher volume capacity for less money (the Bis Carry-On remains my absolute favorite, and it’s only $218). This suitcase will stay in my rotation, as I’d reach for it again for weekend trips or as my designated souvenir holder on longer trips where I’m also checking a bag.

Where to buy July luggage

Jill SchildhouseVIA MERCHANT

I Tried It

July Carry-On Pro

On the exterior of the July Carry-On Pro, there's a full mesh zipper on one side and a compression strap system on the other.

There’s only one place to purchase the July Carry-On Pro, and it’s directly on the brand’s website for $325. It’s available in seven shades to accompany your travels in style.

The post July Luggage Review: I Tested the Carry-On Pro on Multiple Overseas Flights appeared first on Reader's Digest.



from Reader's Digest https://ift.tt/hi305UO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Math Puzzles (with Answers) to Test Your Smarts

This $8 Under-Eye Concealer Has Over 43K Near-Perfect Reviews on Amazon

What Are the 12 Days of Christmas and What Do They Mean?